There are so many opportunities to engage members of your online community.
- Relevant current affairs
- Member birthdays (but do it right)
- The welcome email (but do it right)
- Interesting hobbies (do you enjoy clam digging?!)
- Member achievements (in the community and in their personal lives)
- Community milestones (forget numbers – this is more about community campaigns)
- Relevant ‘National Days’ – eg National Sleep Awareness week for an insomnia support forum
Don’t spend too much time trying to come up with exciting, glamorous and unique opportunities to encourage member engagement.
One of the most popular threads on Female Forum is one entitled ‘Good Morning’. Members report in and wish others a good morning and talk about their plans for the day.
It’s hardly glamorous, but it’s community building gold.